We believe that TreeProBotanical should be on the 2021 list of approved resources for students.
TreeProBotanical offers multiple advantages as an educational resource.
- Apps and smart devices offer a convenient, lighter and more cost-effective alternative to field guides and textbooks;
- TreeProBotanical is easy to purchase and use – see the #Note at the end of this email;
- Once initially downloaded, no Wi-Fi connectivity is required for general use;
- The App covers 979 indigenous and 135 larger woody invasive species; • Custom-created distribution maps;
- State-of-the-art, random access, fast and powerful Smart Search engine;
- Smart Search eliminates the need for a rigidly structured botanical key;
- Smart Search allows entry of data on any plant characteristic;.
- Data can be entered in any order;
- Cutting-edge Location Search function;
- Sightings can be recorded by notes, GPS, date and time or photos, and saved to a personal computer for further distribution and research;
- Text entry for each species;
- Detailed full colour and monochrome illustrations for each species allows rapid ID confirmation;
- Full colour, botanically accurate Search icons to illustrate scientific terms;
- Over 3 500 photos, with more, added regularly;
- Botanical term caption for each photograph;
- Custom Glossary covers academic botanical terms used in the App;
- Ideal for distance learning;
- Ideal for recording information about species and habitats; and
- It’s a fun, educational App that offers an intuitive user experience and free updates.
For more information on any of the points above, please see the additional content at the end of this email.
For the specific advantages of TreeProBotanical as a study aid, please see the next page.
Specific Advantages of Studying Botany with TreeProBotanical
To succeed in botany, students must master two major areas of learning:
- The specific terms relating to various parts/functions of plants, including understanding differences and similarities;
- Applying plant science terminology to different structures and using this knowledge to distinguish and identify species.
In traditional teaching, the second body of knowledge depends on the first, and students are to some extent limited in the full understanding that leads to the excitement of the discovery of ‘new’ species until they fully comprehend the academic implications of the characteristics.
When using an App, the two functions happen simultaneously and complement each other. Equally, students are not restricted visually to the few plants that happen to be nearby. The photos in the App cover the entire range of species found nationwide.
The interactive Sightings function allows students to record their findings in detail (including GPS coordinates and photos) and forward these to external computers via a web site.
This lets them develop material both in the field and back at their desks, and projects can be managed by the educator from afar and judged and corrected remotely.
The App also features a comprehensive Glossary, which by February will feature both Plain English Plant terms and technical botanical language, to facilitate the learning process for students who are new to classical botany.
No other educational resource offers students the same quantity of images and information on South African trees for such an affordable price.
No Wi-Fi connection is needed and there are no heavy books to carry around.
App searches are faster than traditional book keys, but the fundamentals of the botanical language are taught en route to exciting species discoveries.
Please email Val Thomas or Dr Robbie Robinson for more information or to request a free inspection copy of either App: firstname.lastname@example.org